If you are not sure if an ATO interaction is genuine, please do not reply to it.
Should you have any concerns, please contact our office directly, or alternatively you can call the ATO on 1800 008 540 to check if the contact was legitimate or to report a scam.
If you receive an SMS or email from the ATO that you think is fraudulent, report it by sending an email to email@example.com .
If you receive an SMS or email that looks like it’s from myGov but it contains a link or appears suspicious, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Some latest alerts from the ATO include:
- July 2020 SMS and email scams – verify your myGov details
- June 2020 phone scam – threatening arrest and requesting personal details
- May 2020 phone scam – requesting bank account details for the JobKeeper payment
- March 2020 SMS scam – tax refund notification
- February 2020 SMS scam – 8% bonus for people affected by natural disasters
For more information regarding any of the alerts above, please refer to https://www.ato.gov.au/general/online-services/identity-security/scam-alerts/#Latestalerts
Scammers are constantly developing new ways to steal from the community and will often try to take advantage of people when they are most vulnerable.
We can all help stop scammers in their tracks by warning your family and friends to stay alert.